Friday, October 27, 2017

Big Changes

A couple months ago, my husband got serious about finding a new job. We had a long, serious discussion about whether to stay where we were or go elsewhere. I'll spare you all the details of that conversation, but we decided fairly easily to go.

After that discussion, his first interview was in San Antonio. Ugh! My heart was no in that one. Thankfully, it did not materialize. In fact, it was a disaster. Moving on!

Part of our discussion was about where we would look. Now would be a good time to mention, we have no intentions of ever moving back to KC. That's probably another post completely. I requested a colder region.

Before we really had much of a chance to decide, he was being pursued by companies in Chicago, South Carolina, Cincinnati, Indiana, Dayton and a few others. SC, no. Chicago, no. Anything Ohio, no. Those were my thoughts and with that, my husband focused on a job in South Bend, Indiana.

He flew out, did the interview and felt great about the opportunity. A few weeks later, he got the call that he had been chosen for the job. We were excited. I cried. I was beyond happy for him. We told a handful of people. We started the process of putting our house on the market. Unfortunately, that is where the excitement ended.

Things moved so slow. It took a week and three phone calls to get an actual offer in hand. Pretty quickly, we figured out that this company was very disorganized at this facility. Calls, emails and texts to the HR guy, his new boss and others went days to weeks without being answered if at all.

In the meantime, he had a very aggressive company near Dayton, Ohio who had a very persistent recruiter. While the other company fumbled over communications, my husband scheduled and followed through on an interview.

Now, keep in mind, I hated Ohio when I left. There wasn't much I ever wanted to go back for and I was very verbal about this up to the day we left for the interview. I have one person that I still consider a friend and I fought the mere idea of going back. In fact, after the interview, my husband wanted to look at houses and I said no. I knew there was no way God would make me go back to Ohio.

He put pressure on this company because he had a deadline to accept or decline the other offer. And...they met his deadlines. He had an offer in hand by Friday of the following week. The thing was, this offer was beyond what we could have ever imagined. It was nearly 25% higher in salary and the benefits were better. After comparing, the relocation package was absolutely better.

Long story short, he asked the other company to match and they decline. So, here we are.

He will be working west of Dayton, just off I70. He started the job this past Monday and I could not be more proud of him.

I will be honest, I am in a little bit of disbelief. I NEVER wanted to come back here. I swore I would never come back unless we were passing through. I have had to a lot of soul searching, praying and being honest with myself.

I know the key is going to be my openness to make this home. We are not in the same area, in fact we are going to be no further than 20 minutes from Dayton. That is not unlike our house in KC. We were out from the city and 20-30 minutes from anything. I've had to force myself into truly letting go of some hard feelings toward people and situations. I also had to do something that should come more naturally, but I think is hard for everyone. I had to put my own feelings aside for the good of my husband. Doing so will ultimately be good for me too and our marriage, but it is so hard to do.

Now, we are almost done with our home sale in KC and we have to get busy finding a home here.

No comments:

Post a Comment