Friday, January 4, 2013

Vacation Part Deux

After the disappointing forced cancellation of our vacation in November, we are now fully booked to head out in less than 2 weeks.

I'm a little anxious that we will get told at the last minute that we must cancel again.  I think that's why it took me this long to finally book everything. 

Honestly, I was excited to have to rebook it all.  Booking a vacation is a lot of work. 

We had to coordinate with my husband's parents and plan accordingly.  That left us about a 12 day period to travel in January or we would have to postpone until March or April. 

During that time period, the cruise we wanted wasn't running from New Orleans but was from Galveston.  That wasn't a huge change for us, the travel time is about the same.  However, the cost was higher.  On the other hand, I do love Texas and it will give us an opportunity to tour the Cowboys new stadium.

This experience has certainly taught me a lot about myself. 

I am way too familiar with disappointment.  I recovered from this far too fast.  Not that I want to wallow in the disappointment for weeks or months, cause I don't.  But I shouldn't expect disappointment.  Disappointment should hurt, that's the healthy thing. 

I've also learned that my organizational skills and business experience comes in very useful when negotiating through deals like this.  My husband's company paid for the cruise, overage on new cruise, non-refundable hotel rooms, and prebooked excursions.  They also paid for the cost of having the dogs groomed and my hair color/cut, things that happened specifically in preparation for our trip. 

I really can adapt to abrupt changes.  I don't ever adapt well to changes in my daily routines and for the most part hadn't ever adapted to changes in big plans either.  I did take this huge, abrupt change fairly well.  Sure, I was pissed and broke down in tears a couple times.  But I went on as if it was just a bump in the road that I got over quickly.

Things really do happen for a reason. We were to leave on a Thursday and be gone for 12 days.  I got sick on Sunday and didn't recover for about 10 days.  I would have been miserable on our trip and not enjoyed it much.

I learned something about my husband too.  He really can get excited about something.  He was more excited and more disappointed than I was about the trip.  I just hope that he gets that same excitement this time too.  I can't wait to spend the time with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment