Today was one of those days that makes me feel happy and sad all at the same time.
It started early, way early. Three of us took off for a giant tent sale at 5 am. The shopping was overwhelming and fun and exciting. It just wasn't the best part of the day.
Early and me as co-pilot doesn't work well, so we started off going to Kansas but ended up only adding a few minutes onto the trip. Nobody got mad, we laughed and checked out the sites.
When you are in line with 30 and then 50 and then eventually a couple hundred other women, what is there to do? We talked, enjoyed coffee and pastries and talked some more. It is so rare for me to have time with a couple ladies I don't know well and genuinely enjoy the conversation.
We all embarked on a unique shopping experience after our three hour wait. Regardless of what we said or did, we will forever be bonded by our experience and the multiple layers of craziness we witnessed. As we picked through the tables and tables of stuff, some things were very clear. We all three share some similar tastes and some very different ones. We also agree that next year we will arrive at least an hour earlier so that we too can unleash our inner level of crazy and get even better deals.
After we had scoured every last inch of the tent, we paid and loaded our new prized possessions and headed to shop the rest of the stores. It was nice to stroll through the stores without taking an elbow to the chest or smashed toes.
We sat down for lunch at a cafe and again, the conversation was richer than the food.
It was such a great day.
It's hard for me to not have a touch of sadness about it. I know not everyday can be this way. But, I only get a couple days like this a year. It is so rare for me to get to spend time with multiple people when there isn't an expectation or it doesn't involve completing a task.
What is far more rare for me is to have an extended period of time when I get to feel normal. Like just one of the girls hanging out with the girls.
Again, I know that everyday isn't that way. Most people are busy enough that they only get this type of interaction once or twice a month. I'd just like to have it more than once or twice a year.
Oh how I long to have more days like this. Days when just being me and being with other people can collide and feel so normal.

No comments:
Post a Comment