Sunday, September 8, 2013

Happy Birthday to You

Today is my husband's birthday.  He is 48 years young today.  Remember, I keep him young.  As hard as it is for him to believe he is just a few years from 50, I think it is just as hard for me to believe in a few years I will be married to a 50 year-old.

This is probably one of my favorite days of the entire year.  My husband works so hard, provides in abundance for us and loves me to a fault.  So, it would make sense that I absolutely love the one day a year that he doesn't balk at me celebrating him.

He is so selfless and modest and humble.  It is sometimes a chore to celebrate him, not that I am complaining at all!  I love it regardless.  He doesn't ask for things or really anything.  For as long as I can remember, he has always jokingly said he wants a hot dog when I ask him what he wants for dinner. 

I have lots of hits and misses trying to celebrate him without his cooperation.  There was a year I bought him one gift for every year old he was.  Another year I surprised him with gift cards from all his favorite restaurants or businesses.  On his 40th, I had a surprise birthday party for him with his family.  There were more, lots and lots more.  Regardless of whether they were a success or failure, he was worth every bit of it and more.

Up until this past year when his mom started to not know who I was, I always sent her a card on his birthday.  Over 15 years of sending her a simple thank you card on his birthday.  Not only have I tried to celebrate him, but I have done my best to celebrate who he is and where he comes from.  I would send a simple thank you card, letting her know how much I appreciated her.  Regardless of how I felt or how I was treated by his family, I have always respected that they raised him to be the man he was when I met him.

I probably say this every year, but this year I am looking forward to celebrating his birthday more than any other year.  It isn't a monumental birthday, I just love him more than ever. 

This year I've paid attention to the few things he has talked about wanting.  I have covertly gotten a birthday dessert request from him.  I have been able to plan a special dinner with some of his family. 

All that aside, I am just excited to be celebrating him.  He's the man I love.  I love how calm he stays under pressure.  He is so fearless.  He kills the spiders, even the ones that don't really scare me.  He checks the doors when my imagination hears things that aren't real.  He never gets super angry, even when I make not so super mistakes.  He is mature and a voice of reason.  He still laughs and acts like a teenager sometimes.  He is loyal.  He is a comforter and protector.

He isn't perfect, but he's perfectly mine.  I love that he continues to grow and amaze me by the man he is.  I am always amazed that I ended up with someone who possesses everything I've needed and never deserved. 

Today I celebrate my husband, my loving husband.  I celebrate the day he took his first breath and every precious moment of the past 48 years of his life.

2 comments:

  1. Seriously LOVED this post. You are such an amazing Homemaker and wife! :) God has blessed you with the gift of making others feel loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, friend. Maybe it was my calling all along to be at home.

    ReplyDelete