Friday, May 22, 2015

What to do?

This week has been tough, but for no specific reason. For nearly five full months, my life revolved around classes. The precious few days I had off during that time were spent traveling, cleaning and catching up on things I'd let go. After the end of the semester, I had a few days off before we spent seven days on two whirlwind trips.

We've both been exhausted. There have been nights when we've been in bed by 9 pm. It's not because we are old! We traveled a long ways and back on very little sleep over five days. Those five days were physically and emotionally taxing. We came home and felt like we needed a vacation. We are both thankful for this holiday weekend.

The puppy has done a good job keeping me awake part of each night by a new habit this week. About 1 am, he's decided that he needs to snuggle really close to my head. By that I mean all or at least some part of his body is on my pillow. I don't mind. He's a 7 lb fur ball. But it takes getting used to a little head next to mine or a warm furry tickle on my nose.

Last night, I spent a good portion of the night awake with him. He was neutered yesterday and was miserable. He laid belly up and moved a lot. He whined and whimpered. My husband slept through it all, while I spent hours snuggling and saying, "It'll be better tomorrow little buddy."

I don't think exhaustion is my only problem. I kind of don't know what to do. I don't have a new routine. Last year, I was sick from May through November. My husband was off half of December and I started school in January. This is the first time since moving here that I have large quantities of time and feel good.

There are things to do, things I want to do. I definitely want to find ways to serve in the community and church. I want to spend time on the deck reading. I want to start and continue a few crafts. I want to get out of the rut where we have the same seven meals each week.

It's crazy to admit, but I feel like for the first time in over seven years, my life is this one platform that I want to use in good ways. Last year I got bored a lot. That was because I was stuck at home, sick most of the time and with no energy. Before that, it was selling the house. Before that, it was a different time in life when I was fairly immobile and fought against my routine. This is so different.

I've been praying for direction and am trying to keep myself open for whatever lies ahead. Of course, I'll have a class starting in July, but only one.

Maybe it's this place in my life or maybe it's so many things pointing me in this direction, but I get up each day not wishing it away and knowing it's the first day of the rest of my life. Some days are filled with naps and laundry, while others with grocery shopping and gardening. I hope I can continue to embrace the plans for my life, even when they are simple or feel mundane.

No comments:

Post a Comment