Sunday, October 18, 2015

Home from Vacation

We made it home from vacation and crawling back in our own bed felt wonderful.

Vacation was good. Neither of us were ready for it to end. We could have stayed for months.

The place we stayed wasn't exactly as advertised. It wasn't truly a home away from home, but it serves it's purpose.

We didn't do anything spectacular. We watched fishermen compete, shopped a little bit and spent some time at the beach. The beach was beautiful and relaxing. We spent sunset on the beach and experienced the most amazing sunset ever. We ate. Oh my word, we ate. We ate fish, Irish food, pizza, BBQ, Mexican, burgers, ice cream and donuts, lots of donuts.

Mostly, we spent quality time together. We enjoyed the time. We laughed and genuinely weren't ready for our uninterrupted time to end.

But, we were ready to crawl back into our own bed.

Why is that?

We can have a fantastic time away and never want to return, but our hearts and bodies long for the comfort of home. It happens every single time and not just to us. It's the most common thing you hear from anyone returning from vacation. They were ready to come home.

Truthfully, it's how I spent the first year here.

It was great and I loved this place. But, my heart and mind longed to be home. Back in the place where I lived for 16 years. Our bed was the same, but I longed to be back in the familiar. The place that was my first real home. By home, I mean community as much as house. I longed to be back where I was most comfortable.

Last year when we returned from vacation, I didn't have that feeling of being thankful to be home. It wasn't yet home. It was still the place where I spent days longing to be home.

Life is so much different now. When we got home Friday, I was home. I was glad to be home. My home.

When my heart longed for the routine and comfort of my own home, it was here. When I crawled into bed late Friday night, I was home.

Vacation was wonderful. I'd go again this week, if I could. However, there is great joy in knowing my heart is no longer torn over two homes. There is joy in crawling into my bed and knowing this is my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment