For the past month, there has been a great deal of twisting and turning in my heart and mind. There has been so much thinking back on church life, comparing perception, reality and truth.
When I started going to church, I had perceptions of what church and Christians should be like. Then there was the reality of church and Christians really were. Then there's the truth, what the bible says the church and Christians should be.
It struck me a few weeks ago that I am now one of those people who knows the words of nearly every song being sung. I know, it sounds like a simple thing. Not a big deal. Eight years ago, it was a big deal to me.
When I started going to church, I knew none of the music. It was a big deal to me. I love music. I live singing. But I hadn't been exposed to church music. I didn't know it. When the slides didn't work, I was lost. That wasn't really the worst part. The hardest part was that my perception was that everyone was smarter or better Christians than me. I felt so behind, so stupid. That was my perception.
The reality was that these people around me had grown up in the church and been singing this music for a long time, some decades. The reality was that exposure would eventually teach me the songs. Another reality was that knowing music was an indicator of faith, far from it. The truth was that the music part of the service wasn't about knowing the words. It was and is a time to praise God. Sometimes that comes in singing and other times that happens when we take in the words. It even happens when we just show up.
Another perception I had about church was that if someone has been in church their entire lives, they are far more mature than me. While this was sometimes true, not always. The reality is that years in church do not always equate to maturity. The truth is that each one of us has an individual walk with Christ, which matures at varying paces. There's no step by step that is the same for everyone in growing in faith. Someone who has been in church since birth may in fact be less mature than the recovering drug addict who accepted Christ only two years ago.
One of my hardest perceptions was that Christians were perfect and would be Christ like. This was as much my fault as a few Christians who presented themselves this way to me when I was new to the church. They hid their imperfect lives and lived a facade of being Christ like. The reality is that Christians are sinners and will do wrong. They will wrong you and me. It happens all the time, daily. The truth is that yes, Christians are to strive to be Christ like, but fail. The truth is that grace and mercy are the most vital christian values to learn. They are what allow anyone to have healthy relationships inside and outside the church.
These aren't new to me, but have been ever so real to me lately. We've been here for almost two years and we both still feel like we are in a foreign land. We have glimpses where we feel apart of this community, but they are fleeting. Part of that is us. Neither of us do well engaging with people we don't know, even though we've made attempts. The other part is that we are in a well established community with people who already have full lives, full social circles.
We never thought we'd still feel this way at almost two years. I often have to take individual situations and events and apply the perception vs. reality. vs. truth. Sometimes the problem lies in my perception of the situation or person. But sometimes the problem truly is in the reality. Those times hurt. And it gets hard to apply truth, grace or mercy. The hurt manifests in anger until truth can be applied.
Just yesterday, I had a second person in a month welcome me to the church as a visitor. We attend regularly and set in the same place. I now work for the church. We've been attending since May 2014. My husband serves during the service a few times a month. I was frustrated both times. Left church feeling completely outside. The reality is that one of the two had just come back after being gone a while, likely having no clue who we were. The truth is that despite my frustration with this or anything else, God has shown us many times where he wants us to be.
I've been a Christian for over eight years. However, I'd never consider myself to be a mature christian. I've got a long way to go. I think until that day comes, years and years away, I'll have to apply this thinking. I'll have to always consider perception, reality and truth.

No comments:
Post a Comment