It should be a happy time. It had been a happy time. Going back to work was something I looked forward to for a long time. Working at a small church part time definitely fits what I need in a job. I certainly should be filled with excitement.
That excitement has been sucked away the past three days. In fact, I feel like everything has been sucked away from me the past few days. Energy. Life. General contentment.
It's not any one thing or one person. It's a variety of things. It's life. It's nothing by itself can't be handled in average, everyday ways. In fact, I normally let things go as if they mean nothing. I do my best at keeping things in perspective or extending grace. It's one of the many things I've learned and grown in being here. I'm not perfect, but far improved over how I used to be.
But have you ever felt like you were a punching bag for the universe or some greater power was at work to beat you down?
That is what the past three days have been like.
It's times like this when I am reminded of the many caviates of PTSD. Stress isn't filtered like normal. Reactions aren't appropriate to the action. Coping reverts to an unhealthy behavior.
Again, it's not just one thing or person. It's dealing with a medical issue, school loan problems, tax concerns. It's fighting a medical office for the fifth month in a row over a refund. It's people acting or reacting out of character and not understanding why. It's being dumped on by people who have no idea the building stress of the previous hour. It's having sudden expectations that you know can't be met. It's not having expectations met.
I know, most of that's vague but I think it's a good picture of just one day this week.
Last night was a monumental meltdown for me. After cleaning up the mess the neighbor's dog made of our trash, I was doing my best to let go of the stress of the day. Then, completely out of character, my husband picked that moment to yell at me.
He'd had a stressful day and was lashing out. I wasn't really the reason, but I was the closest target. We all do it and we do it most to the ones we love. I couldn't help myself. I burst into tears. Not really tears as much as this bawling, snot flying, heaving, hyperventilating, ugly thing that made my head and stomach hurt for hours after.
It's been a while since I've had one of those. You know the kind. The ones that make your spouse stand in silence and freak out the dogs.
Today hasn't been much better. Tomorrow is my first real day in the office. I, like anyone else, am wondering what am I doing. Am I really cut out for this? Am I qualified? Can I handle it? Right now, I don't think so. When I was excited, I didn't question it. Now I do. Why wouldn't I? If I don't feel adequate enough to handle several really hard days, then I can't possibly be qualified to meet anyone's expectations of me. In a job or in life.

No comments:
Post a Comment