As early as last night, I began to consider what to write about next. While I considered many possibilities, none of them drew me in as much as the one I chose.
While not many in quantity, God has chosen some very strong, faithful people to walk this journey with me. Actually, in all honesty, they tend to carry me more than walk along side. I could likely write an entire book about all the ways God has used each of them in big, HUGE ways to guide and help me and even save my life.
But, there is a very special woman who keeps coming to mind.
Although I struggle with remembering scripture, there are a couple verses that I find myself thinking about when I think of this woman.
Therefore encourage (admonish, exhort) one another and edify (strengthen and build up) one another, just as you are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:11
This is a woman whom I have never met in person. Yet, outside of my tight circle of those close to me, she gives me more encouragement than I knew possible.
She is a close, personal friend of several acquantainces of mine. Probably a year ago, I saw her name popping up on facebook. Each time I caught her name, it was because I was drawn to what she was saying. With each of our mutual friends, she was constantly encouraging them and praying for them.
It is no secret that I have spent the last few years immersed in a personal struggle. I have found very few people who have been willing to be encouragers. Many have tried, but have fallen away because of their own life struggles.
Unfortunately, I have come across many who do not have the capability to encourage others. Our pastor actually touched on this Sunday. Some people cannot stand to see others receive blessings. I believe that is at the core of why people choose to not encourage those around them.
Encouragement can come from many sources. I do believe each of us has the ability to offer a compliment or a kind word or prayer. It is the hatefulness of the world and the stronghold of sin that squashes our desire to encourage others.
Each day, this woman was showing me that there may be exceptions to what I was seeing and experiencing. She was quick to show support and love to those she cared about. She offered prayer and always, always pointed her friends back to God.
After watching this for many months, I finally took the risk of sounding silly and sent her an email. I explained to her how I had watched her posts and what a blessing I saw that she was to those around her. Even I had been encouraged and blessed by her comments. The idea that someone can love others that much gave me a sense of hope that, at the time, I was searching for in my own life.
In the day of my trouble I will call on You, for You will answer me. Psalm 86:7
I never could have predicted the response that followed. Her exact words escape me now, but I remember the general theme. She was happy to encourage her friends because she loves them. She said it was easy to encourage and pray for people.
An even bigger surprise to me was that she wanted to be my friend. This woman who is so caring and encouraging wanted to know me. I am glad that we both took a risk. We have swapped communication and gotten to know more about one another.
A friend she has been, indeed. Through the entire time I have communicated with her, she has been a blessing to me. She encourages me when others walk away from me. She directs me to God when she knows I am struggling. She prays for me when hope seems to drift away. She teaches me when she likely doesn't know it.
To this day, I have yet to meet her face to face. About a year ago, we passed each other briefly and unknowingly at a restaurant. And, I do have a desire for the busyness of our lives to allow us to meet one day. But I do believe God has chosen her to show me that many blessings can come from those who are not seen nor heard.
Does this sound familiar?
Do you encourage others? Do you encourage them enough? Do you consider encouraging perfect strangers? Do you offer a kind word when you see someone really needs it?
Thank you to all who do. And, thank you God for placing special people in my life who encourage me!

No comments:
Post a Comment