For reasons I cannot yet explain, we have created a routine where Kent takes the dogs with him when he goes to bed.
The lab is unphased by the whole event and is willing to change her sleeping location at whatever time. But the two little ones are beginning to remind me of children.
Each night when Kent gets ready for bed, they both run to me, crawl on my lap and cling to me. Even when Kent picks them up to carry them to the bedroom, they fight to get back to me.
Tonight was especially hard. I fought back tears as I began to understand the big picture.
Gizmo, the smallest, is around a year old. Since we adopted him last October, he has always been particularly attached to me.
Since we've had him, he spends most nights and sometimes all night sitting up with me. He never leaves my side and it aware of every move I make.
He has a desire, if not need, to be near me. I am his safety, his provider and his protector. When he is afraid of thunder, he runs to me. When he wants something, he comes to me.
I realized that even my dog has an inherant need to be cared for and loved.
It is during this time of him being a puppy, that he will learn that I am happy to love him and meet all his needs. For a dog, I'm sure now is the time when the loyalty to an owner is developed. Meeting his needs now, may very well lead to him being a loving dog when he is older.
As I lost the fought with the tears, I understood how important it is for an infant, tolder and child of every age to be loved and have their needs met.
A parent's failure to meet a child's needs or love them can and will damage the child and the relationship.
Lucky for Gizmo, I will never intentionally fail to meet his needs. And, I don't think I could ever stop loving him.
Although I struggle to always remember this, I do know God will never fail to love us. I don't think we ever have to worry the He will forget to love us or feed us or want us or meet our needs.
God, please remind me to run to you when I'm scared. Please remind me to come to you when I am in need. And, please, oh please, remind me that You are everything and will give me everything I need.

No comments:
Post a Comment