My God, I want to do what you want. Your teachings are in my heart. Psalm 40:8
For over eight years, I worked at an eye clinic. During most of my time there, I never had much of a desire to really examine my life and my goals.
Going on medical leave would open my eyes and heart to entertain the idea that God’s plan for my life is more than sitting behind a desk all day crunching numbers.
In Grace for the Moment, Max Lucado challenges with this question: Want to know God’s will for your life? Then answer this question: What ignites your heart?
What does ignite my heart? What ignites my heart for God?
The first thing that comes to mind is music. I can spend hours letting true Christian music penetrate my heart and soul. Not only can I identify with the words, but it feeds me. The end result is always the same regardless of whether I am listening or singing. It directs me back to God and fills me with hope that I may have somehow thought was lost.
But what truly lights a fire in me and gives me a desire to draw nearer to God? And, what will I do with it when I find that fire?
This is where I find myself many times a day since leaving my job.
A truth in my life is that I am a survivor of many horrific events. Even though I survived, God has chosen to take me through yet another fire. I constantly remind myself that there must be a reason. There must be a purpose for my life, something that God plans to use for His glory.
There is a stirring inside me. What is God’s will for my life? What fire will burn so great inside my heart that the plans He has for me will be fulfilled?
I have no idea what that is right now, but my heart is open.
There is no doubt that I have a tender heart for orphans and the hurting. I have spent countless nights praying for the spoken and unspoken needs of those around me. I have watched prayers be answered and I have watched many people learn to wait on the Lord.
Learning of my own need for salvation only a short time ago, I have a heart for the lost. How could I pass up the opportunity to share the need for salvation to those who do not know?
Whatever the plan is for my life, I pray that my eyes and heart will remain open to every opportunity. I pray continuously for God to ignite that fire in my heart and lead me to fulfill His plan for my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment