Lately, I have been thinking about some of the stranger and least harmful people in my past. When I think about them, I often wonder why they crossed my path as well as think about the impact they had on me.
When I worked with severely disabled adults, I had the priveledge of getting to know a man named Albert. Albert was a client and a very unique one at that.
Albert was incredibly intelligent and brutally honest. He was about 25 years older than me, but was child-like in nearly every area of life. It was never hard to pick Albert out of a crowd. He was over 6 foot tall and always wore his pants hiked up about mid chest. We tried to get him to wear pants at waist level, but that wasn't his comfort level. It didn't look comfortable to me, but who am I to judge, right?
When Albert would talk, he curled his hands and held them close to his chest or about belt buckle high. He spoke super fast, almost too fast for the average person to understand. Albert had this wierd and funny way of adding to everyday words or mashing words together that usually included a made up word. For instance, he would add the word "aukins" to many of his phrases.
If you asked Albert what his name was (which was actually Albert Kimzey), he would say "Albert KrimeyZyem Aukins." If you asked him what he did that day, he would say "Watched DavidZYem Uh Cussin' N' Swearin' an' actin' uh baden." If I asked him what he wanted for dinner he would say, "Sketti and cheese aukins Moca aukins." It looks funny, but I always understood every word.
At this job, I worked with men who were blind, deaf, had severe behavior disorders and had HIV, Hepatitis and other communicable diseases. Looking back, I can honestly say that Albert was a joy to work with at this job. He was patient, rarely had behavioral problems and was the most compliant client.
It has taken many years, but I think I understand why Albert crossed my path. With all the turmoil at that job, I believe working with Albert helped soften my heart toward people with disabilities.
I had lots of reasons to dislike people with disabilities given what that job put me through. I was pushed down a flight of stairs and broke my nose. I was chased down by a naked man and stabbed in the leg with a butter knife. I was bitten many times and exposed to lots of diseases...just to name a few. But knowing Albert kept me from disliking them and even allowed me to embrace them as people, caring deeply about how they were treated in society.
Now I finally get the big picture! My heart was prepared 17 years ago to accept myself. Being diagnosed with a somewhat uncommon mental disorder, I tend to believe I am different and in a less than human way. But when I remember Albert KrimeyZYem, I am reminded that a disability doesn't define me or somehow make me sub human. And a mental disorder should never preclude me from receiving love or acceptance.
I have no idea where Albert is today, but what he unknowingly taught me will live with me forever.

No comments:
Post a Comment