Saturday, March 3, 2012

On the road again...

I'm sitting here in western Kansas listening to the wind gusts whip against the window screen of our hotel room.  The land on the other side of the window is flat, dry and a dull grayish shade of gold.  My husband is grabbing his post-breakfast, pre-drive nap before we head off on the last leg of our trip out to the mountains.

We have never traveled this far or long with three dogs.  I have to admit, it's been interesting.  Trying to meet the needs of the dogs is a challenge on long road trips.  I want them to stay hydrated so that they won't have a problem with the altitude change.  But of course, they don't understand and will only drink on their schedule. 

There were only a few mishaps yesterday and the funny thing is that they were all centered around one of our dogs.  Our boy dog!  Maybe it's true that boys are difficult!!!!  He laid down in the water bowl, which meant he was all wet for part of the trip.  Then one of his favorite toys fell out of the car and the blustery wind took it across a parking lot with me chasing behind.  He promptly vomited in his kennel upon arrival and squirmed out of his collar and leash, which led to a slick grab-the-tail catch by yours truly.

After checking into our hotel, we headed out to fill an RX that we forgot to pick up and find something for dinner in a town that only has about 10 restaurants.  The people aren't super friendly here, even though I know that's not typical for small town Kansas.  Afterward, we were able to relax and head to bed early. 

Our little monsters woke us up at their usual 5:30 potty time, which is promptly 4:30 mountain time.  They weren't the only ones who didn't get the memo that we are now on mountain time for the next week.  A particular parent decided she need to call us at 7:30.  I'm not sure I've been back to sleep since then.

Besides the wind, our only eventful weather was in southeast Kansas as we drove through a rain and monster snowflake mix.  Considering what the forecast had called for at various times throughout the week, I think we got fairly lucky. 

We got to stop in Salina, Kansas for lunch and indulge at the Cozy Inn.  They sell half-dollar sized onion burgers.  They are 85 cents each or you can get a bag of 4, a bag of chips and a can of pop for less than $5.  The greasy spoon doesn't have any inside seating, but it's a nationally known diner.  A must try if you are ever near Salina, KS and love burger joints.

Mostly this has already been a nice break from our usual routine.

I woke up with a particular bible verse in my head today.  in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.  1 Thessalonians 5:18

That hasn't happened to me for a long time.  I could have thought about the long drive and all the little mishaps we had.  But even in those, I would have to just be thankful for the opportunity to travel or have time to spend away from all that brings me down.  So today, I'm just thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment