Friday, November 6, 2015

Christmas Decorations

There's a part of my life that is driven by sheer boredom. I'll vacuum twice a week because I'm bored, not because the house is dirty. Sometimes I'll sit and stare at tv for the same reason.

It's because of that, our house is always adequately decorated for the holidays or season. Prior to eight years ago, I might or might not put up a Christmas tree and that was it. The house was cluttered with crap, but it wasn't really something I cared about or enjoyed.

Maybe it was maturity or maybe it was beginning to enjoy life more that I began decorating. Each year it has grown into a bigger deal for me.

For years, Christmas was still a love/hate for me. We went through the motions, but I really hated it. My family left me with so many awful Christmas memories that I wanted no part of it. Once I became a Christian, it got easier. Not for the reason you'd think.

So much became clear for both of us when I accepted Christ. It was all part of the flood of memories. Once I was able to be honest with my husband, he absolutely stepped up. He understood that in order for Christmas to be enjoyable, not only did I need to understand the meaning, I needed to have new memories and stable, happy traditions.

He began making Christmas special. Not in childlike ways, but in good ways. We started doing Christmas shopping together. We'd walk through toys r us during midnight sales. We'd go look at animated light displays or drive through the KC plaza. We took an annual trip to Branson, which all Christmas. We went to Christmas Eve services. We discussed the birth of Christ. He never complained about Christmas music. He helped change my heart toward Christmas.

Because I'm at home all the time, I tend to change decorations early. Fall goes up mid August. Christmas goes up mid November. Christmas tree and a few other items get put away in January. Most of my Christmas decorations are actually winter and snowman themed, so they stay up until March. Then the spring stuff goes up. In May, a few Easter themed items get put away and a few summer things take their place. Then it all starts again.

Next week, the Christmas decorations will go up. My Christmas shopping is done. I know it seems really early for some, but it makes me happy. With the current state and upcoming state of things, I want to be surrounded by what makes me happy. So next week it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment