Even though I've said it before, it never hurts to have a reminder. I survived a horrific life, a life nightmares are made of really.
My days aren't full of reminders, but the reminders fill my down time. It would be a lie to say that the reminders aren't debilitating at times. They are. Not as bad as they were two years ago, but enough.
We've been here 18 months. That means I've had only 18 months of my 40 years when I've lived without fear of an abuser. Only 18 months where I didn't live with harassment, abuse and torture. My dad didn't stop the abuse when I married and he never, ever left me alone. To my knowledge, he was still harassing and taunting me up to the day we left.
In 40 years, 18 is just a blip, the tiniest fraction of time. There are a list of things that don't just go away after all that time.
There are still nightmares. There are still flashbacks. There are still times when I shake in fear and forget I'm 700 miles away. There are times when I wake up in a cold sweat in the dark and have to figure out where I'm at. There are times when I have to verbally repeat that I'm safe now and he's far, far away.
It's the first of November and the start of holiday season. All of my issues get worse during this time of the year. That locks me in a nasty cycle. As those things increase, so does my insomnia. In July and August, I was at 8-9 hours. September and October were 6-7. Now, I'm lucky to average 3 hours a night.
I know it will improve, but it will take a long, painful few months.

No comments:
Post a Comment