Friday, July 26, 2013

3 Days and Counting

Much to my own surprise, we are eagerly preparing for an upcoming vacation.  It isn't the timing or location or specifics I had planned, but it very well could be even better.

Our original plan was to take 7-10 days and make a trip east to South Carolina.  We had delayed finalizing lodging while we waited on a potential change in my husband's employment (which did not happen).

A little over a week ago, we learned that we would be able to have my niece and nephew for a short period of time.  It looked like it would be an extended weekend at the beginning of August.  A furlough day for my husband, we agreed to give the kids a few options.  We could make a quick road trip to Dallas, St. Louis, Omaha, Branson or they could hang out with us at home. 

My niece had no real preference.  My nephew immediately chose Dallas and gave his reason.  He wanted to go to the ocean and beach.  It's reasonable for a kid to think all of Texas is surrounded by beach, right?  I can't imagine his disappointment as his mom explained that Texas is far from the beach. 

After some discussion, we agreed that with a few additional days we could take them to the beach.  The parents agreed and so we began to plan our 6 day vacation. 

Our adventure will start next Tuesday.  We have so much planned.  Tours of Cowboy's Stadium, Johnson Space Center and the new George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum.  We plan to wrap up our time in Texas with a few days on the beaches and piers in Galveston.

The hotels are booked.  The tickets are purchased.  The car is clean.  Bags and bags of chips and crackers are bought and packed.

As excited as I am, I am holding a respectful amount of fear. 

My niece and nephew are 12 and 13.  They are sweet, quiet kids most of the time.  However, I am positive that sitting in a car side by side for hours upon hours will wash away some of that sweetness and they will inevitably start to irritate each other.  I can easily predict at least a half dozen of the "Don't make me pull this car over" moments.  But I am praying that the flow of activities will wear them out and they will sleep.

I don't take the responsibility lightly.  Even though I babysat these kids from birth on, I don't take for granted the precious gifts they are and how we will be responsible for their well-being during this vacation.  I know we can handle it, but it is certainly on my mind as we prepare to travel 9 hours from their parents.

I would like to add that I don't take for granted how big this is for us.  It wasn't that long ago when I never thought this kind of trip would be possible.  I am extremely thankful for the time to spend with them and see it as an unexpected gift.

Of course I want them to have a great time.  They don't get vacations like this every year.  While I don't have unrealistic expectations of them, but I certainly don't want the trip to be a flop.  So far, the kids seem so excited and that's all I can hope for right now.

It's hard to admit and I am sure no surprise, but I am worried about my own anxiety.  Yes, I have anxiety about my anxiety.  Since our accident two years ago, my travel/car anxiety is sometimes out of control.  Honestly, it is usually the one thing on any of our trips that brings out the worst in both of us.  I don't want my niece and nephew to see that and I certainly don't want to them to see us fight. 

That leads to my last concern.  Even though I don't think we need to give the kids this facade that life is always perfect for us, I do want to be good role models for them.  I want us to be able to show them love and for them to have a fun trip.

I don't typically do this, but would you consider praying for this trip?  Pray for safe travels, quieted hearts and minds, and that it would be a wonderful experience for all four of us.

I hope to be sitting here in a couple weeks, sharing pictures from our trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment