This is the third week in a row that I've comfortably sat in my old familiar place. Today was the hardest to walk in the door, but has been the best so far.
It was easier for me to connect to the music. To me, it was familiar and inviting. There is something so sincere in worship when you can visibly see a drummer, guitarist, or even people in the congregation worshipping with passion. Let me be painfully honest, I'd love it if it were always this way.
We had an adult baptism this morning. It is usually difficult for me to watch an adult be baptized. The whole thing is so reminiscent of my past experience of be pushed and held under water. It's so bittersweet for me. Through the painful memories I always find the one good one.
I always remember with fondness my own baptism.
I am sure I've mentioned this before but the weeks and days leading up to my baptism were hard. I couldn't wrap my head around willing allowing a man I barely knew push me under water.
You know the saying that it takes a village to raise a child? Well, in my case, it took a village to get this baby Christian baptized.
My village consisted of our church staff. They were so good to me during this process. None of us knew at the time why I was having such a difficult time. Despite the lack of understanding, they were all exhibited an immense amount of patience and kindness.
I can't even remember the number of times we did practice runs. There were times they just let me sit in the baptismal so that I could get more comfortable. They prayed and prayed with me and probably prayed in private for the craziness nobody understood.
With their help and a peace that is beyond understanding, I was baptized on September 9, 2007.
As I stood in church today thinking through that time, I looked over my shoulder. Across the church stood the pastor who was instrumental in my conversion and who baptized me. I looked to the left to see the counselor who stuck by me through that crazy time and many more. Ahead of me, leading the worship, was the music minister who was so good to me through encouragement during that time.
What a sweet, sweet moment. To look and see these three people made those memories even more special today. Lots and lots of other things have changed since that time. Many of the people are different. I've changed. Even those three people have changed. But that moment was absolutely perfect.
In all my terrible church experiences, I understandably struggle to remember the good. I am so glad I got that reminder today. I needed it. I needed to be reminded of the goodness inside the church.

Simply beautiful Monica! It is a joy to walk together as friends and grow in our understanding of Who Christ is and change more into His likeness.
ReplyDelete