Lately, I have been thinking about all the things I never have to deal with because we don't have children. We don't have to discuss methods of discipline. We don't have to prepare for the first day of school and spend money on school supplies. We don't have to deal with awkward teenage years or dating. We don't have to save for college or elaborate weddings someday. Yes, there are a few pros to not having children.
There are a couple child based subjects that shouldn't affect me, but keep sneaking onto my radar.
Adoption.
Oh my goodness, adoption is a wonderful thing. I think every child in the world should be adopted. Near or far away, I wish any child without a parent to love and nurture them should be adopted.
I would give anything to adopt a child. I would adopt more than one child. I would love that child as my own. It's not even something we have discussed, but I know my heart on it. Good grief, this is why we have three dogs.
Sadly, we can't adopt. We can't afford the process and the adoption. Those things are expensive. We can't afford to go through a lengthy process of flying to the corners of the earth to find an orphan.
It has taken me so long to come to a healthy enough place in my life to even consider adoption, that I realize it is just too late. My husband is approaching 50 years old and we are just not prime candidates.
Isn't it sad that the amount of love you have to give a child is such a minimal requirement for an adoption.
But it I can't grieve and put yet another missed opportunity behind me. This subject is always in front of me. Staring me down. Pushed upon me. Thrown in my face. Judged by those who feel the same way, but don't understand the circumstances.
Since the bible is fairly clear about caring for the orphans, it is understandable that the church body supports and promotes adoption. But, I see it taken way too far.
Some people are capable of reproducing without a problem and never feel called to adopt.
Some people have considered it, but cannot afford it.
Some people choose to be childless because that the direction their life has led them.
Adoption is NOT for everyone. If you don't choose to adopt a child, it doesn't make you a bad person. It doesn't even mean that you don't have a love for orphans. It simply means, that God has not called you to adopt.
Why is that so difficult for people to understand? I find it most often in those who have adopted. They try to push others toward their personal passion. They do it in abrasive and confrontational ways. They do it with a lack of respect for the person and what God has done in that person's life.
It is a tough, tough issue. None of the people constantly bringing this issue up know me, know my heart. None of them know how badly I want to adopt a child. None of them understand how brokenhearted I am to not be able to share all the love I have reserved just for a child.
Next time...Schooling...
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:
Post a Comment