Ok, so the other icky topic I am getting hit with so often.
Homeschool vs. Private School vs. Public School
This one definitely shouldn't effect me, given I don't have children. However, it comes up in conversation quite often.
I have seen and heard many of my friends be cornered in the halls of the church by those pressuring them to pick a side. Of course, they want them to pick a side that is the homeschooling side.
(Before you get offended, I am not referring to the home school moms who are absolutely respectful of the individual choices.)
Some of these are young moms who still have years before they have to make a choice. The more mature mothers aren't immune to the badgering either. I have seen firsthand when moms who have chosen public school are ridiculed and made to feel less than as a mother.
While the bible isn't clear on which of the options is best, I am thinking that the choice does fall on the parents. The PARENTS!
I am all for helping others make informed decisions by offering useful tools and giving objective advice WHEN ASKED. But what I see happening crosses a line.
Some of these aggressive home schooling moms are barreling over that line and soaring into that area where only the parents of the child belong.
Let me tell you, I went to a public school. It was a horrible public school. Even with that, my education didn't suffer. The schools around my area are far more advanced than the school I grew up in and I would be comfortable with a child going there.
Let me share another observation I have made. Some people home schooling really shouldn't be.
I know there is a stereotype of home school kids being socially awkward. Honestly, that is dependent more on the personality of the kid because there are plenty of public school kids who are socially awkward.
What I see in comparison is that I know a lot of home school kids who are not as advanced as public school kids. Technologically, they seem far behind the public school child.
Now, I am going to get brutally honest. I know some parents who may think their calling is to home school, but it is not their gift. I wish they would consider their ability or lack of ability to teach in regards to their children. They could potentially be doing more damage than good.
It is hard to see so many beautiful, intelligent moms struggling with this subject. It is hard to know they hurt because of the direct and indirect judgements that fall on them when they choose public school. It is hard to hear their fears as they feel the pressures prematurely placed upon them.
Since I don't have children, my opinion matters not to these people. However, I wish it did. I would tell everyone of these eager beavers to back off. The bottom line is that the decision is between the mother and father. Support them through these difficult decisions, don't judge them if they choose a different direction than you. Respect God's decision to make us all different from each other.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:
Post a Comment