Monday, February 17, 2014

Wildfire

Evidently if you want to see how fast gossip is spread, you tell your closest friends that you are moving.  Not that I am angry, just disappointed.  I also don't necessarily blame those we told as much as the people they told.

Facing a move across several states is stressful enough.  It's also not something we had planned to share outside our immediate social circle until we had a finalized timeline.  Until this past weekend, we had told a few close friends and two family members. 

It was expected that those people would share with their families as appropriate.  No big deal.  Then I found out that it was being discussed at my previous church with a large group.  Then one by one, I was getting emails and facebook posts and text messages from friends who were a bit upset that they had heard it from the rumor mill.

Ugh!

I am a pretty smart cookie, sometimes.  It was fairly easy to trace back the sources.  For the most part, it was innocently shared by some of our closest friends and then it spread like wildfire.  I'm disappointed in those people. 

I know nothing was done out of malice, it's a relatively simple topic.  It was just extra stress to have tell more friends and family before we were ready. 

I will say though that the response has been overwhelmingly positive and encouraging.  Those who were sad to hear it are also those people who we will be sad to leave. 

Some of the responses caused me to chuckle.  Don't get me wrong, they were encouraging and they were from people who have been through the same thing.  It is just comical to me that sometimes people on the other side of a trial forget what it was like to be in the midst and the things that weren't helpful.  They often forget all the crappy part and spew those things they learned on the other side.  That's never helpful.

There have been some great things shared that are helpful.  Keep in mind, neither of us have ever sold a house.  I have never purchased a house.  We have never moved as a couple anywhere together!  Some of the information is great.  Remember to change your address with the city and county offices you live in.  Plan for personal property taxes to be paid as usual, even after you move.  Make sure ask if there are HOA dues for the house you will potentially buy.  That stuff....incredibly helpful. 

My goodness, that list of things to do isn't getting any shorter with me sitting here!

No comments:

Post a Comment