So after my really crappy, crappy day, I ended it by spending a couple hours with one half of my favorite senior couple. As I said to him, he was the highlight of my day and I had been looking forward to it.
I must say that while I am always completely happy to spend time with the husband, I'm missing the wife quite a bit. She's still not quite well enough to be at home. I'm seriously missing her sweet little voice and gentle spirit. I can't wait to see her again.
We got to take another stroll with the motorized scooter or as we call it the "buggy." No spin outs tonight and we went even further. It's so exciting to see him getting more comfortable. That buggy has potential to be his lifeline to everything outside his home. That's exciting!!!
After our walk, we carried on a conversation while he ate dinner and I did some cleaning around the apartment.
He stopped me while I was vacuuming to tell me a joke.
A 75 year-old man was stopped for going 80 mph in a 55 mph. When the cop asked him why he was going so fast, he said, "I have to hurry before I forget where I was going."
Do you know how long it's been since someone told me a joke? I'd forgotten what it was like to laugh at something so silly. I needed that!
I finally sat down and we swapped some war stories about working in schools and about dogs. It was great just to have simple conversation. No stress. No complication. Just simple chatting. Oh, how my little heart needed that.
As the evening came to a close, the wife called on the telephone. What he said to her melted my heart. After he told her what he had done this evening, he said, "You can call any time. You're always on my mind."
My heart melted and it kicked me in the butt at the same time.
I love my husband so very much, but I don't always act like I'm in love with him. I don't remember the last time I was so thankful he took time to call me. I want to. I want him to always know I love him.
It reminded me that something as simple as being thankful for a phone call are the little ways I can show my husband I love him.
The truth is that I do think about my husband while he's away at work, but I never tell him that. I am incredibly thankful that he works so hard to support us while I am unable to work, but I fail to tell him.
As always, I'm so thankful for the things I take away from this couple.

No comments:
Post a Comment