I decided I'd stop numbering these and just call it a series. I think I could write repeatedly about this and still not cover it all.
Today, I had the absolute privilege of walking the husband of this senior couple over to visit his wife who has finally gotten out of the hospital and is spending a little time in rehab before going back home.
I say privilege because it was absolutely an honor to do it.
He was excited and waiting with his buggy parked in the middle of the living room when I walked in the apartment. In jeans, suspenders, clean shirt, shades and a swagger, he got in the buggy and away we went.
As we headed down the road, he was incredibly confident in his little buggy and had a bit of a puffed chest. He was headed to see his bride and his mission was clearly written in his body language.
It reminded me of a time when my husband worked in another state for nine months. Regardless of what obstacle popped up, he stayed determined to get home to me.
We talked and walked. He cried with excitement and sadness.
As we headed down the hall of the care center, a staff member let us know the wife was in the therapy room.
I don't think I've ever seen two people lock eyes so fast before. Not only that, but the light, the energy, the joy in that room seemed to get 10 times brighter.
The entire trip could only be compared to a bride walking down the isle, then standing face-to-face with her husband to be.
I always thought love was something that dissipated. I thought young love was the strongest love you'd ever have in life. I have honestly waited for my husband to eventually not love me any more or at least not as much.
I'm learning that it doesn't have to be that way. In fact, love can grow and grow so far beyond that young love. I don't want to wait around for my husband to stop loving me, I want to grow deeper in love with him each day.
I hope when we are old and gray, that we have a love that lights up a room. I hope from our wheelchairs, people will see in us a love that never faded away.

No comments:
Post a Comment