We spent half our anniversary day walking through the Columbus zoo. It was a good time, because we made it so.
I've had a couple people ask me how the zoo compares to the KC zoo or others we've been to. Around here, Columbus seems to be the preferred zoo between it and Cincinnati.
It was ok. The layout was fine and it was clean. It had a couple problems. The biggest is that the staff fed the animals at 9 am on Saturday. So, we were there for an hour before we started seeing animals. It was hot and naturally, the animals were all hiding out in the shade. Maybe during cooler times of the year, it would be better. I'm not complaining, it was nice enough.
There was a huge difference between the KC zoo and Columbus. The number of animals. Nearly every zoo I've ever been to has more animals. To be fair, we did not walk through the Australian section. We also avoided all aviary areas. Other than that, we covered the entire zoo. The number of animals seemed extremely low.
This is probably my only criticism of the zoo. I love Jack Hannah. I think this zoo might put a little too much into promoting him than utilizing space for animals. Just personal opinion.
We both agreed that the Omaha zoo is by far the best we've been to. I can't think of an animal that isn't on display there in multiples. They have adequate space for the animals and its overall an awesome zoo. The aquarium in Omaha is phenomenal compared to all other zoo aquariums.
Going to the zoo, meant we walked nearly 6 miles Saturday. I still hurt. Keep in mind, a few weeks ago I couldn't have gone that far. However, I did and did it on four hours of sleep. I finally feel rested, but have minor injuries on both feet. I've aggravated a previous injury and have a pulled muscle in the other.
I'm ready to go again. Maybe to the Cincinnati zoo. It was fun to go and have energy and be out.
Maybe this fall, we will head up to the zoo again.

No comments:
Post a Comment