Saturday, October 29, 2011

Little Red Couch

Do you have that place where you can go to get away without getting away?  That place where you can clear your mind, where you find rest for your body, mind and soul?

I have one of those places.  If you know much about me, you might understand why a place like that might be hard for me to find.  I don't have one at home.  I don't really have one at my church, where I volunteer.  I don't have a childhood place I can revisit.

Last Friday, I was able to spend several hours in my place.  Well, it isn't exactly "my" place because I don't own it.  But, it's my place of rest.  It's like a comfy little corner of the world where I can spend time hidden away from the heaviness that sits on my shoulders.



On occasion, I get to spend several hours camped out on a little red couch at a friend's house.  Yes, it's a comfy little couch.  However, it's more than the couch that makes it a place of rest for me.

To start with, nothing awful has happened on, around or anywhere near that room.  That creates a sense of safety which allows me to relax.

It is always quiet and calm, giving me all I need to catch a much needed nap.  Just beyond the couch, I can get lost in a variety of mindless activity.

There is a little ground squirrel that comes to the door and peaks in, usually gnawing on a nut or berry as a snack.  I like to think he's a little jealous of my comfy hiding place.

Depending on the season, there are a variety of plants or flowers to look at.  Now, it is dried orange and gold leaves rustling across the roof or patio. 

The experience doesn't just give me rest, it refills my emotional bank which tends to run on empty.  There is something so rejuvenating about spending a few hours on that little red couch. 

I'm not sure where your place is, but I encourage you to visit there soon and often.  We all need to refill our banks, especially as we face the busyness and stress of holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment