Not that I want to disappoint you, but this isn't going to be a tribute to country music. It's not an announcement that I will be trading in my flip flops for a pair of boots and learning to heard cattle or lasso a pig.
And, it's definitely not going to be an admission to a deep-seeded gender confusion issue...although it might seem like it. If you have heard my rant about this season of DWTS, then you would know where I stand on that subject. If you haven't, then I'd be happy crawl back on that soapbox another time for you.
The older I get, the more I notice a difference between myself and other women. It's as if my "girly" gene was left out, underdeveloped or possibly malfunctioned along the way. Sure, I have found a sprinkling of women throughout my lifetime who I could identify with on one or maybe two of my oddities, but never one who was a match on my non-girly checklist.
Most of the time, I am more comfortable sitting with couples or groups that tend to be a majority of men. It isn't because of an attraction to them, but they communicate on a level I identify with easily.
First of all, their communication tends to be short and to the point. My simple, ADD mind appreciates those style of communication. They don't tend to spend a lot of time discussing feelings or girly things, which is ok by me. Their conversations are often less people or gossip driven and more driven by the passion in their life. When the topic of conversation is their particular passion, then they spewing resource of detail on it.
Admittedly, I enjoy sports. I would rather watch a hockey or football game than go shopping. If you ask me about a sport, I'll tell you who my favorite team is which is probably one I've liked since I was a kid. Ask me about the playoffs and I'll probably know who is playing and have an opinion on who will win. Now don't ever expect me to talk about soccer cause that's one I can't get into.
I have found women who enjoy watching or playing sports. But I have never found one who enjoys it to the degree I do. I may seem timid, but not when it comes to bantering over my favorite teams. Many of the men I know enjoy a healthy season of fantasy football. Here is where I would like to point out that the good ole boys groups come into play, but I won't. Instead, I will say I am convinced that they do not allow women to compete because they couldn't handle being beaten by a woman. Enough said! Seriously though...my fantasy football team is 4-1 and leading the league by well over 100 points.
Men tend to have mechanical conversations. That isn't the type of conversation but the subject. When I was a kid, I would be more likely to pick up a hot wheel than a barbie doll. When my brothers really upset me, I would disassemble their toys until they would be nice to me and then I would reassemble them.
I am content listening to men talk about tearing something apart and rebuilding or fixing it. In fact, I find my husband's work with plane parts incredibly interesting. Since he rarely reads my blog, it's safe to admit that. I find it absolutely amazing that he tears into plane engines and refurbs fan blades and then those things fly overhead every single day. Now when he is talking, I must hide all interest so that he isn't prone to talking all the time about it.
Not only do I dislike shopping, I don't get all excited over a new purse or shoes. My closet is full of black, brown and blue with just a smattering of light girly colors. I don't care what I look like as long as I am comfortable. You could take my makeup and hairspray away from me and I would survive without a massive breakdown.
My favorite colors are blue and green but I tell everyone pink. I say pink not as a lie, but trying to convince even myself that there is a girly girl in somewhere inside me.
I don't cry much at all and certainly would never cry over a fluffy bunny or a baby. Baby's are precious little people to me, but I don't get all oogly over them. Seeing another person cry doesn't ignite tears of my own. Have you ever watched a group of women listening to a sad story or watching a sad movie? They cry in unison. That's ok, I'm not hating on them. That's just not in me.
All joking aside, I think I spent much of my childhood wanting to be a boy. In my life, boys weren't as abused. I also had this idea that if I had been a boy, I would be able to defend myself. Cause boys are tough, right? Maybe it was because I thought if I could be a boy and play a sport, then I would somehow be acceptable to my parents. That is probably what caused my refusal to carry a purse until I was in my 30s. Even now I'm not sure why I do.
Looking at all the evidence and I've only mentioned a few things, I would like to consider myself just a well-rounded person. But maybe the bigger picture is that I can be less "girly" and still be a girl. MAYBE it's more about accepting who you are and not making life altering decisions to make the physical appearance match part of what is inside. Just a thought!

No comments:
Post a Comment