Since blogosphere is, for the most part, a one way conversation I have no idea what your beliefs, morals or background might be. If you are a Christian, I have no idea what your story is or how you came to the decison to believe what you believe. The only story I know is my own.
When I became a Christian, I didn't instantly change all my beliefs. My heart was instantly changed and softened so that I could begin to change the things I believed which were not in line with the Bible.
There is one subject that my heart has always battled with and I have waivered on what is right and wrong. I also don't discuss my feelings about this with fellow Christians for fear of the scorn that even if not spoken would be seen on those sitting across from me.
With that said, I would like to say that I am not sure exactly where I stand on the topic of abortion.
I know what the bible says because I have sat through five sanctity of life Sundays at my church. I have heard the testimonies of those who have had abortions, survived abortions or survived because God softened the heart of the mother who was about to abort them.
I have several friends who either work or volunteer at pregnancy crisis centers. Their goal is to prevent abortions, giving the mother or parents another option.
What few people know about me is that late in high school and early in college, I gathered with other Right to Lifers on the steps of the Kansas state capital building and protested abortions. I did that many, many times. I protested outside the abortion clinic in Wichita. It was never violent, but a protest all the same.
When I got into college and considered what I would do if I got pregnant, I did begin to waiver and even change my thoughts on abortion. When I started watching friends getting pregnant from one night stands or using abortion as a form of birth control, it became just another "no big deal" thing.
It was not a subject that really had any affect on my life until I started hearing it being talked about at church. That's when I began to examine how I really felt on the subject.
What I found is that where I stand on this, even as a Christian, doesn't line up with those around me.
My two brothers and myself were products of a mom who didn't want kids and a dad who only wanted children to have someone to abuse. (this isn't an exageration either) If my mom had gone through with an abortion with each of us, there would have been three less messed up people in this world.
It is my background that makes me believe that if someone doesn't think they can be a good parent or they know they are so messed up that they will inevitably pass that on to a child, then I do believe they should have the option to abort. If that parent is so messed up on drugs or has an anger problem that is going to potentially be life threatening to the child, I believe abortion should be an option.
I know that people are quick to say, there is always adoption. Have you looked at the adoption process and laws in the US lately? It's messy!!!! I have also seen the ugly side of adoptions where the child is left with a long term sense of abandonment. That isn't to say that I haven't heard many beautiful stories of adoption where everyone is happy and the child lives a healthy life.
This is a difficult thing to admit. Like I said, nearly every person I know has a strong, opposing view on this subject. And...I won't say that I won't ever change where I stand on this subject. Remember, I did say that becoming a Christian softened my heart to begin changing what I believe.

No comments:
Post a Comment