Friday, May 25, 2012

Early Morning Escapee

I woke up this morning to a husband moving through the house frantically.  As I pried my tired eyes open, I saw he was throwing on clothes instead of jumping in the shower as is his normal routine. 

Even though he said a lot of words all I heard was, "...Giz got out and I have to find him."  Seconds later my feet hit the floor and carried me out the back door.

A quick scan of the neighbor's yards and I saw nothing.  A couple shouts for my little "Gizzy" and "Big Boy" still brought nothing. 

I had no idea how long he had been out and was starting to get a little panicky.  Mentally, I was reminding myself to not panic.  Panic for me can turn into an attack which would render me useless in a search for Giz.

It was clear he had gone further than I had hoped.  Kent went to grab his keys and I took off walking.  I'm sure I looked like the walking dead with wild hair, in my mismatched pjs and socks with sandals.

I headed down the street looking every direction.  Most of our neighbors have fences that are closed.  Their dogs didn't stir and bark until I walked past.  That seemed to be a sign that he hadn't gone my direction. 

Kent headed around the block the opposite direction.  My heart sank as I approached the busier main street through our neighborhood.  I prayed I wouldn't find him on the street or hurt, but that I would find him.  I passed a woman out for a walk, who said she would keep an eye out for him.  She also said she hadn't seem him on her walk two blocks the opposite direction.

I made it around to the next block and jumped in the truck with Kent.  I think it was the first time I started to tear up.  As we turned onto the busier street, I saw a truck headed toward us.  A little closer to us, I saw my little guy dart across the street a half block away.

He disappeared behind some bushes as we drove up the street.  As we pulled in front of the house, I saw him heading up to the front door.  I think he knew he was lost and was checking out front doors to see if someone would let him in or help him.

I jumped out of the truck, literally.  I don't think Kent had come to a stop before my feet hit the ground.  I yelled to the dog and he came running.  I picked him up and took my first full breath in 20 minutes.  He let out a grunt and danced around the truck. 

I'm not sure who was happier, me or him.  He ran through the house, got a drink, ate and then slept for the next four hours.  Woohoo!

We thought the gusty wind had blown open our fence.  When I went out with them at lunch time, the gate was open again.  Not just blown open but opened far enough to be stuck on a lump of dirt and the wind wasn't gusty.  It makes me wonder if someone hadn't opened the door on purpose, which has happened before.

Needless to say, I was elated to have all my pups back home and safe.  I won't soon forget that frantic feeling and the great relief I felt when he ran straight into my arms.

As we pulled into the driveway, I had one thought...

I wonder if God is that happy when we run back to Him after being gone for so long.  I wonder who is happier, us or Him.  I wonder if He patiently waits for us while we search frantically for something to hang onto.  Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment