Before I ever crawled out of bed this morning, I was already locked in a struggle that would set the tone for my day. An acquaintance proclaimed boldly how dumb a person would be to spend money on a pet.
With friends and strangers alike, I make it very clear that my pets are like children to me. As you know, we can't have children. For reasons completely out of our control, we can never be considered for adoption or even foster care.
Also out of our control, the amount of love that we have the natural need to share. Without family around, that love gets poured into our pets.
As you can see, my pets are a big part of my life and have an enormous place in my heart. My 147 point IQ could potentially be used to refute the idea that I am dumb. So, I unequivocally disagree with my acquaintance.
I would and have spent a lot of money on my pets. Just a trip to the vet costs at least $100 and we average $75 a month on food. Our little Lucy just had leg surgery, which was a whopping $1600 process. Yes, that is money we desperately needed to finish our bathroom. But, I wasn't heartless enough to leave my pet in pain, no matter how badly I want to take a shower in a tub that doesn't leak or how much of a mold problem I have.
Unfortunately, my day got worse for several reasons I can't really go into. This evening, like I've only done a few times before, I fell to the floor in a weeping mess.
When I finally pulled my head from hands and wiped my eyes enough, I saw a half circle of animals sitting around me. All with varying looks of concern, they stared at me intently. Every time I can remember sitting on the floor crying, they've come to my side.
Dumb? I don't think so!
Crazy? Maybe!
When I fall to the floor in disbelief, sobbing over the friend who hurt me deeply or took advantage of me or turned their back on me, they are always there. They don't judge me for my faults. I never have to worry about them sharing my darkest secrets. They are easy to please. I never have to worry about their compassion or love being given on a contingency. They never disagree, but in an odd way their simplicity makes me want to do the right thing. I never have to pretend I'm happy or something I'm not around them. They never hurt me and they leave.
Sure, they live their natural life span and it is always far too short. But who could call that dumb?
I kind of wonder if maybe I'm not dumb at all and this was just the plan for me...
Maybe, it's just what's in my heart!





No comments:
Post a Comment