Monday, July 27, 2015

Two Weeks

Two weeks ago I started to get serious about this health thing. One thing is certain, it's hard! 

My goal is to exercise five days a week. I did so so my first week and totally exceeded that my second. Primarily, I'm walking at 6 am. Getting up at 5:30 am is getting easier, but I never really want to. When I don't get up that early, I have been diligent to get some exercise in that is equivalent. Today it was raining, so I hit the stationary bike. Over the weekend, I found myself wanting to exercise. By Sunday, my lower back and hip hurt. I did twist my hip out, but I know my body was telling me it needed exercise. 

I have a daily goal of staying under 1490 calories. That's not a lot! But given all the numbers, that's what it'll take to lose 2 lbs a week and stay at a healthy pace. When I exercise, I get calories added back in and is a definite motivator to meet me exercise goals. So far, I've only had one day when I surpassed my calories. Most days, I fall 60-200 below. Last week, I had one day when my app let me know I needed to eat more because I was 700 calories under my goal. 

My super sweet husband is reaping the benefits of a healthier lifestyle for me. He gets fed healthier. He is on some of the same supplements I am and seeing progress. He's getting a little more exercise with my encouragement. To help with the process, he ordered me a Fitbit. We have Bowflex bands. They count steps and calories. However, I wanted something that tracked more. This Fitbit will do that and track sleep. The app will allow me to add calorie info too. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm excited for it to come. 

I do feel better already. I'm not as tired all the time. I still have some fatigue because of my sleep patterns. Although, I'm starting to have more nights where I get 5 hours of decent sleep in a row. I also get a good 90 minute nap in after my exercise each day. That helps give me the extra rest I need to make it through the day. It'll be better if I can get 7-8 hours straight each night. It's what I need to not have periods of dragging during the afternoon. 

I am more active. I am getting more stuff done around the house each day. Not that our house is ever dirty really. But I have more energy to do things like deep clean more often. I also don't run out of breath walking to the mailbox. I walked the long drive twice in the rain with no problems. 

Of course I am tracking all the stats too. They are a motivator and an indicator. In 2 weeks, I've lost 12 lbs. Here are the rest for two weeks:
Hips -1"
Waist -2.5"
Chest -1.5"
Shoulders -3"
Thigh -1"
Arm -2"

I'm happy with that. My hips and waist are the hardest places for me to lose inches. I can also tell that I'm building muscle in my legs. 

I'm definitely shaped different today, than I was 17 years ago. However, I weigh 8 lbs less today than I did at our wedding 17 years ago. Since our anniversary isn't until Saturday, I'm hoping that'll be at least 10. 

Even with the progress, it's still hard. I'm not craving sweets, but my natural default is to bake brownies and snack all day long. There are times I still snack. Sometimes it's healthy and other times not. But I'm more aware of how unhealthy choices alter how I can eat for the day. 

Hopefully I can give another update in two weeks with even more progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment