Admittedly, I sometimes don't pay attention to the communion devotion at church. They sometimes include personal stories or sports analogies that distract me and I try to focus solely on Jesus on the cross. Last Sunday was different. I hung on every word as the guy talked about how Jesus left heaven to be with us.
Jesus came to earth in human form. His life was designed and formatted with purpose to teach us about sin. His life was intricately written to be a guide for us and how to live our lives.
It wasn't all roses and sunshine. He had to convince people of who he was and fight their unbelief. I mean without the written prophesies at their fingertips, most had no reason to believe God would separate himself from heaven and come to earth in flesh.
He was hated and even those closest to him doubted. If heaven is all its said to be, why would anyone trade it to be amongst sinners clinging to a fallen world?
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like to step outside the comfort of my own little self created world. My house is clean, there's a pumpkin candle burning and soft music playing. The temp is a perfect 72 degrees. It's going to be near 90 degrees outside today. The flies and wasps are on their last leg of summer.
It's a safe to say I'm going to hang out on the couch today with the TV, book or craft project. There's very little that could change my plans to stay where it's comfortable. There's very little I trade these comforts for today.
That's a fairly accurate description of how we live life. Only big things ever change our desire to be where it's comfortable. Only crisis or God will push us out. And when that happens, we can trust that there is a bigger plan.
Exactly! There was a bigger plan for Jesus living on earth. His death. Not only did he teach and leave us a guide for living, he came to die.
I know I've said it before, but his sacrifice is more than I can comprehend most of the time.
He didn't die a quick death. He was beaten mercilessly and nailed to a wooden cross. He died on a cross so that we could be forgiven. His death on the cross created our other to heaven. He gave it all for us. His life and his last breath. He gave it all.
Jesus sacrificed his life so that we could one day know ultimate comfort.
It's hard to believe most days that there's something more comfortable than my current surroundings. But there is. I know there will be plenty of times when I get pushed out of my comfy house. I just hope I always remember there's always a bigger plan. I know there is because Jesus gave his life for it.

No comments:
Post a Comment