Monday, September 28, 2015

Healthy Belly

So, this health kick has been interesting and about far more than just weight loss. Way back in April, it started with some serious consideration with what was happening in my stomach.

Just a recap of what I've said before about my stomach prior to taking a probiotic.

For years, I've had pain. Sometimes severe and others less so. Sometimes I felt like someone stabbed me seconds after ingesting anything. Dairy has been off limits, along with greasy, spicy or fried foods. I've had a long list of medical tests run. Besides an MRI, I've had every scan and ultrasound of my abdomen done in the last 18 months.

For a year, I was on three double doses of prescription antacids just to keep heartburn at bay. I had reflux often and it was painful. None of the tests showed anything. I was told late last year that I needed to have my gallbladder taken out and be on mess for irritable bowel syndrome, even though there were no positive indications for either.

I also went through periods of depression that couldn't be tied to anything specific. I know there were some that were, but not all.

Fast forward to April through now and I can tell you that I am far more educated.

I enjoyed May through last week without many stomach issues. I didn't change diet much, but did start trying dairy in small amounts. No severe pain and no heartburn. I was able to get off all but one antacid, which was a single dose per day.

My change was getting on a good probiotic. I believe it has healed a lot of what was causing the pain in my stomach.

There are two really important things I've learned.

Keep in mind, this is a very dumbed down version of what I've read and may include theory as much as fact.

Serotonin is produced in the belly. Serotonin is the chemical that makes you happy. Not to be confused with melatonin, which is produced in the brain and aides in sleep.

It completely makes sense that people with unhealthy guts are going to have a tougher time producing serotonin. A lack of the chemical could increase the chances of suffering from depression. When the belly is healed and the serotonin can be produced normally, it makes sense that the person would naturally be happier.

I have experienced less depression and more organic happiness since being on the probiotic. I know some of that is exercising, but I noticed the change prior to exercise.

Over the past few years, I've heard how terrible wheat is for you and awful it is for your digestive system. For that reason, I stopped buying whole wheat products. I changed our bread to whole grain white and stopped buying wheat pastas.

Because I'm a sucker for anything pumpkin flavored, I indulged in the new pumpkin spice mini wheats a couple weeks ago. Oh they were good! A box and a half later, not so much. I was bloated, gassy and in pain. I was that way for 10 days.

Not only that, but it was like all the work my probiotic had done was completely undone. I was in pain and am still dealing with things like heartburn. I increases my probiotic dosage last week and am slowly getting back to normal again. I hate that I've had to get back on higher doses of antacids, but am hopeful that will be short term.

Obviously, wheat is every bit as bad as suspected for me. My husband finished off the half box and had a similar reaction. No good!

Regardless how good something tastes, it's important to know what your putting in your body and the effect it will have on your health.

This journey is far from over. These stomach issues have been discouraging and a minor set back. I'm ready to have my healthy belly again. It'll make me much happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment