Saturday, September 19, 2015

Exciting Times Ahead

When things are going well, my default is to start anxiously waiting for the bad to happen. I'm not saying things are perfect at the moment, but they are pretty good.

We have a few hurdles coming over the next few months. We have travel and my husband has a surgery coming that will sideline him into the winter months.

There are a couple new things that are exciting and came completely out of left field.

The first is our involvement in our church's youth group. We have prayed for a place in the church where we could serve together. We make a great team and together felt like we could adequately support one another in serving. Since we belong to a small church, there aren't a lot of opportunities to serve and rarely any together.

Occasionally, I volunteer in the office and my husband helps in a rotation on the sound board during morning service. Both are very comfortable places for us to serve. A couple months ago, we worked together on a community service project and it was a joy. That was the point we decided it would be great to find a place to serve together.

A few weeks later, we listened to each ministry leader talk about their ministry and share the ministry needs. Honestly, we left a little irritated. There was really no place to serve unless we wanted to help with children. No thank you!

Fast forward a whopping two hours later and the Lord was working on our hearts. A young couple up the road lead our junior high youth group. They had asked for help with the group or even just events. We discussed it and decided that since we have a large vehicle and the time, we'd happily help with events. But events only!

Again, we began to discuss and learned the two were pretty much leading all alone. So, we prayed and discussed. Wouldn't you know it. We felt led to help and get involved as much as possible. We really felt led to help the couple leading, but after one event, the kids are a huge pet of it too.

Don't get me wrong. It's way out of our comfort zone. After spending an evening with them, I think we both are excited to share Jesus with these kids.

There's another super, big, gigantic change coming in our lives, mine specifically. I have prayed a very specific prayer for several years now and had pretty much given up, as if it was not the plan God has for me. And no, it has nothing to do with a child.

I'm bursting at the seams to tell everyone what it is, but the timing isn't quite right. I'm still cautiously optimistic. There's still too many unknown details. But as soon as I can, I'll explain a bit more.

It is absolutely answered prayer. When it was laid in front of me, I didn't get excited and I didn't develop an opinion either way. I talked with my husband and prayed. Asking God if this was the answer. The answer is waited for and had always learned it wasn't the right time.

This is definitely one of those times when we are both praising God and know it is His perfect timing.  I can't wait for the perfect timing to share more.

Of course none of these things will come without some adapting. After 18 months of adapting, you'd think we were pros. But I'm a realist. I know there will be some bumps and routine changes. There will be things to learn and our paths will cross with many different people.

Regardless, we are excited about what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment