Sunday, March 22, 2015

All About the Dogs

Since I've been sick, I hadn't made much of a plan for today. But that's usually how the day ends up going in a direction you hadn't planned. 

We've been considering a fourth dog for quite some time. We have lots of space and availability. We also have aging dogs and one that has several health issues. So, we've been searching sale sites and Craigslist for a while. We'd found lots of dogs 2 years and over. 

Last night, on a whim, I checked on a lady who had three Morkie Poos. It just so happened that we were out and about when she was available to show them to us today. Oh my goodness! I'd have taken all three. They were so cute. All boys, one black and white, another black and brown and one apricot. 

We finally decided on the apricot one and will get him in a few weeks. We are super excited, but know the potty training will be stressful. Hopefully with three other dogs, it will go smoothly. The last time we potty trained was 8 years ago. 

After we got home, it was time for spring haircuts for the rest of the bunch. Thankfully it was nice out and we could shave them in the garage. They are usually good and we can groom all three in about two hours. 

While I was grooming the smallest, I noticed her scars. She has a huge, deep scar that runs all around her torso and is especially deep on the sides. She came to us that way. In fact, the cut was still scabbed when we got her. The wounds were so deep that it took nearly two years for it to be completely healed. 

We don't know what happened. She was a rescue. She'd had three litters of pups and was severely abused. She was/is timid with men and strangers. It's taken her three years to occasionally go to my husband when he calls for her. 

She knows though and I think she remembers. She does something funny when I touch or am shaving her scarred sides. Her little body gets tense and she looks at me with the saddest eyes and immediately wants me to hold her. 

I can't help but be compassionate with this little dog. In the middle of grooming her, I had to stop, snuggle her and consider how we are alike. 

We both have some deep scars. They get covered up and even forgotten about at times. But they are tender. When they get uncovered or touched, we know. It takes us back to a time when there was no safety. When that happens, we desperately hope the person who has seen our exposed scars will handle us with gentleness and loving care. We hope we can trust them and they won't hurt us more. My dog doesn't have to talk for me to know. I know because that's exactly how I am. 

She's definitely my dog. I think there is a loyalty and understanding between us that most people wouldn't understand. 

I finally finished grooming her and all her siblings. We might be crazy for adding one more to the mix. 

I've never regretted having dogs. They definitely make life fuller. I don't intentionally try to humanize them, but they do seem to fill a human-like void in our lives. 

We are looking forward to when we can bring our new boy home. It'll be exciting. 

A Saturday with no plans and not feeling well certainly led to a full, interesting day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment