Our neighboring state has gone and opened a can of worms with their new law allowing business to refuse service to gay, lesbian and transgendered.
With this new law in Indiana, I can't help but consider my thoughts on the matter.
Keep in mind, I tend to be less conservative in my views on gay rights than most of my Christian counterparts. My views get into this gray area because of the homosexuals I know and love.
My first tendency is to fall in line with the bible. The bible is very clear that homosexuality is wrong. However, the bible is also very clear that we are to love one another with no specification that the other must be heterosexual. When we see homosexuality for what it is, a sin, then we must put it in the same category with our own sin. Sin is sin!
God loves us, but hates our sin. He is very clear that judgement is His, not ours. Therefore, we are not to judge. Matthew 7:5 is a wonderful example of this and there are many more. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't lovingly confront those we care about with concern for their sin. However, the bible never gives us permission to attack, turn our backs on or not love those who sin based on what their sin is.
That being said, I don't have hatred toward homosexuals. I can't. It's not in me and it's not biblical. I don't condone those who protest or attack verbally and physically homosexuals. I absolutely do not support churches to preach and encourage hatred toward homosexuals as a people group.
Because I do have several gay friends and family, I do see a need for laws that would allow some protection for them and their significant other. They have combined businesses, homes, assets and there is very little protection for them if the relationship breaks apart or one of them dies. Most states offer more protection for a man and woman living together than homosexuals living together. To me, that falls more in line with general rights as a person.
One muddy area for me is gay marriage. Currently in states that do not recognize it, there is very little to keep couples from taking advantage of the state and previous spouses or opposing parents. For example, I know a couple in Kansas who are manipulating the system. The one has no children and makes a 6 figure income. The other has several children with different men. She does not work. She receives all sorts of support from the state and high child support from the fathers. The state is also paying her tuition for a Masters degree. They live better than most. They were married in another state, but the marriage is not recognized in Kansas. Do you see a problem here? I do. This couple should not qualify for all they have given the couple's combined income. This happens all the time! And WE pay for it!
As for the new law, it might surprise you to know I fully support it. While I do believe we need laws that protect homosexuals, we also need laws to protect everyone else.
This law is a direct result of businesses being sued over refusing service to homosexuals. Honestly, every business needs to have the right to refuse service to anyone. They should be able to refuse to serve anyone for a good reason. Attitude. Personal conflict. Religious beliefs. And, it shouldn't just pertain to homosexuals. I believe if a homosexual owns a flower or catering business and is not comfortable providing service for a heterosexual wedding, they should have the right to refuse service.
I worked in a care and service industry for 10 years. We had every right to refuse service to someone who was hateful or didn't pay their bills. Sometimes being hateful was the way they treated people and sometimes it was more about their lack of respect for appointment times.
Honestly, refusing service to someone because of their sin isn't necessarily a choice to exercise religious freedom. It's a personal choice that the business owner makes based on the confidence they have in their business. Do we really live in a climate where business can be turned away? Can businesses afford to welcome a bad reputation? Is any business or business owner spotless enough to point a finger at someone else's sin? I don't know. That is for each individual to figure out.
I'm not sure why anyone would want to patronize a business who has refused service to them. If I'm uncomfortable somewhere or not welcome, I don't go back. So someone doesn't want to cater your gay wedding...go find someone who will. I wasn't treated very well while shopping for a niece at one of those skinny clothing stores. No biggie. I left. Never went back. Don't have good things to say about them.
There are other issues in this same realm that probably need more attention. Restrooms are probably the highest on my list. I am absolutely 100% against transsexuals using the wrong restroom. A man does not belong in the women's restroom and vice versa. You can argue that a man dressed as a woman would be awkward in the men's restroom. I don't really care. A man can put a dress over his junk, but the fact remains that he's still got his junk. Therefore, he does not belong in my bathroom!!! Honestly, my husband doesn't want him in the men's restroom either, but that's where he belongs.
This restroom issue crosses into safety and privacy issues. What is going to keep some child molester freak from cross-dressing just to get access to girls and women? I know this is a growing issue with much higher consequences and it needs to be addressed.
I'm all for the rights of people. So, let's also start protecting and developing laws for heterosexuals too.

No comments:
Post a Comment