Thursday, March 5, 2015

Spring Break

On Wednesday, I finished my last few assignments of this term. I'm officially on spring break. It's crazy to think that at 39 years old, I'm excited for spring break. My course load has been intense and busy. I'm ready for a break. I want to cherish this time because my next break doesn't come until October.

Spring break is still relatively new to me. When I was in school, we didn't have spring break. We got out for all the bank holidays, but never had a full week off. Most of our bank holidays after Christmas were used for snow days. We started after Labor Day and finished before Memorial Day. Things were so much simpler then, but our tiny school wasn't yet on board with spring break. They did implement it two years after I graduates.

In college, I had spring breaks but not really. I was supporting myself by working multiple jobs. The only time I did anything for spring break was one Friday, my roommate and I went to a ranch and ride horses.

So I'm a bit excited to be celebrating spring break with my husband and looking forward to some down time with him.

It is bittersweet. The past three years, I've had my niece, nephew or combo of the two over their spring break. We never did much more than hang out in KC or go to Branson. I loved the time with them. Last year, we took had them in KC where we went to the Presidential museum and visited local attractions. We ended the week with a trip to Branson. We all had a blast. It was the best time with them that we'd ever had.

In a perfect world, I could have dreamed of having them come here for spring break. But the world isn't perfect and this year is different. I no longer have access to them and have no clue what they are doing. My heart wants them here so badly, but my head knows there has not been enough time or healing.

I miss them. I'm sad that this year has to be different.

We will go and explore a new area. We will cherish our time together. I'll be mindful of the wonderful memories created in the past. I'll pray for God to work in miraculous ways in my family and pray that they know I love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment