Earlier this year, I read an article about how Christians over use the word blessed. I know at the time, some of my friends were taken back by what it said.
The point was that when we refer to something like a new car or birthday party or a good day as a blessing, then we are underminding what are true blessings. As Christians we are blessed with eternal life, a relationship with Jesus, the promises of the Word.
Those are true blessings. Those are gifts of grace and mercy.
I've been very careful to keep that perspective. I don't ever want to put my salvation and a material object on an equal plane.
As the year comes to an end, I'm becoming reflective. This year has been more active than any other in our marriage. It's worthy of a year in review so that I can remind myself someday what we survived.
I can't help but juggle that word around when I look at the past year.
We've been blessed. Blessed by the Lord. He has come near to us when we needed and when we thought we didn't need anyone. We have been reminded over and over that our salvation is secure and our only security is in Him.
But there's so much we've been given. So many ways we must give all the glory to God. He has been good to us. Even in the most difficult times, He is still worthy to be praised.
I prayed over a year ago for a change in Kent's job. That prayer was answered.
We left an awesome church and almost immediately found an even more amazing church here.
A doctor got aggressive with my care and saved my life.
When we were days from foreclosing on our KC home and filing bankruptcy, our house sold.
We had some key people here care for us and love us and walk through difficult times with us.
When we needed help, people showed up.
There were gift cards or bonuses that showed up when the bills were far higher than the income.
Yes, we've received so many gifts this year. I want to say we were blessed by them. The truth is that we've been blessed by the Lord and He has allowed us to see his goodness in life. His love through others. His provision through circumstance.
We know this year has left little energy or time to focus on anything beyond ourselves. I think we would both say we've failed to give back this year. We've not actively pursued ways to be the hands and feet of Christ. We haven't served the body or the community as much as we have felt led. Neither of us believe we've given enough of ourselves to anything besides us.
I hope we can change that in the next year. I know we both want to spend less time inwardly focused and more time serving. We want to share the blessing and goodness that can only be found in Christ to those who need it most. We want to love and support those around us.

No comments:
Post a Comment