It's definitely something people are uncomfortable discussing. We aren't supposed to be boastful about it. It's a personal thing, not something we do to check off the list.
What I've learned is that people are uncomfortable because they don't understand it. They get confused about what it's about.
The general thinking is that you give up food for a period of time. That scares some people.
Let me give you me 10 second explanation and how it was taught to me.
Fasting is giving up food or more importantly something that you are tied to. That could be a cup of coffee or electronics or an activity you enjoy. You give it up for an extended period of time. The purpose is to, instead of go for that thing, you go to the Lord in prayer. It also clears your mind of that thing and allows you to listen to the Lords leading.
Fasting is done for lots of reasons. Personally, I've done it when I've felt far away from the Lord. Probably the most common reason for me is when there's something in life that needs a lot of prayer or decision.
By giving up that thing I want, I purposefully spend time in prayer about whatever is going on. I've done it here with various church things. I've done it while making the final decision for school. I did it when I waited on my cancer test results and when I thought I was going to die this summer.
Probably the most powerful fasting I've ever done was over a year ago. When Kent interviewed with Honeywell, I fasted for several days. I gave up my iPad, Facebook, email, texting and ate just enough. During that time, I prayed for my husband. I never prayed for him to get the job. I prayed for God's will to be done and for Kent's job to change or become more tolerable.
I knew when he wasn't offered the job that it was firmly God's plan. I knew without a doubt.
Then a few months later, we found out his job was changing and we were moving. I never questioned that either. I knew without a doubt, God wanted us in Ohio.
If I'd never fasted, I'm not sure I'd have been so confident, so peaceful about the move.
If fasting isn't a part of your prayer life, I invite you to try it. Ask if you have questions. I promise, you won't regret it. You may find it is what's missing from your prayer life.
Side note: Oddly enough, this subject came up in Sunday School about a week after this was originally written. It reinforced that this subject is difficult for people to discuss.
Side note: Oddly enough, this subject came up in Sunday School about a week after this was originally written. It reinforced that this subject is difficult for people to discuss.

No comments:
Post a Comment