Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Discipline & Darkness

With my first day of classes behind me, I can confidently say that I am not well disciplined. This online format of study is going to force me to get even more organized than I typically am already.

After not working for almost five years, I am not sure how I have managed to keep any sense of routine at all. I suppose that is another reason why volunteering is so important to me. It is as good for me as anyone. It gives some purpose and routine to my otherwise lackadaisical life.

I have somewhat of an idea of how things will flow the best for me. Now we all know that my plans rarely work out as I imagined. However, I still fall back to God being a supplier.

It's a little crazy to think I am a college student. This is really happening. Wow! I wasn't sure this day would ever come. In fact, I was certain it wouldn't even up until yesterday. So many times I thought about backing out. I felt completely incompetent and absolutely unworthy of the opportunity.

As luck would have it, one of my professors changed the syllabus last week and I missed it. So, I'm patiently waiting on a book that I must have and have read before quizzes on Thursday. That was the only thing I was obviously missing. Of course, there was a last minute trip to the store last night for some basic supplies that I needed to stay organized.

I am most definitely taking this journey because I feel God has called me to be prepared to walk with people through the toughest times of life. It wasn't my plan, wasn't the direction I would have chosen. After the first day, one thing is incredibly clear. I am going to grow through this experience. In just my short seven hours yesterday, I can already see areas where I need to pray more and have more grace.

Day two is going to be a long one. I'm hoping to finish all of my reading, presentations and videos today. Hopefully that will give me the next two days to turn in all assignments for the first week and I can end the week early.

Today is going to be long because my husband is leaving town. He won't be gone long. However, it's my first time to be alone here in the country. It's something I will have to get used to. He will eventually travel for work again and will have a solo trip home this spring.

It will be so different without him. He's the reason the lights get shut off at night. I know, I'm 39 years old and I'm afraid of the dark. Don't laugh! It's a bi product of living in complete chaos for so long. Darkness meant something bad was happening.

So, when he is gone, the lights stay on....all night long. When I don't have my big, protective man laying next to me, the place will be lit up.

Enough procrastinating! I have a stack of books to read and a list of lectures to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment