This town and community is small. Smaller than anywhere I've ever lived. Depending on the Internet source, there is 800-1100 people. It's unlike anywhere I've lived, not just because of size but because of the overwhelming sense of family and community.
There's downsides to it, there is anywhere. But the list is short. The list of positive attributes is far longer.
Everybody knows each other, especially those who've always lived in the area. So, when there is a loss...everyone feels it.
A few days ago, a local family unexpectedly lost their four month old baby boy.
The mother is the young lady who does my hair. I first met her when she was pregnant. I met her at church and several people recommended her to me. I've had the opportunity to talk with her a few times while in the shop. I don't claim to know her well, but one thing I'm certain of is that she loves her babies.
Knowing that, I'm certain the loss has devastated her and her family.
The loss has also hit the community. Restaurants, facebook, gas stations, doctors offices, it's being discussed everywhere. Every person I've heard talk about it has known some member of the family or been a customer at the salon.
It's a loss felt by everyone. Not in an "oh that's sad" way, but in a heartfelt sorrowful way.
Again, it's unlike anything I've ever experienced.
As with any unexpected struggle in life, people cling to faith or question their faith. I've heard both.
When an elderly person passes, we are sad but often take comfort in their faith, legacy and full life. When a child is lost, we often struggle to see God's plan or goodness. We question our allegiance to a deity who would take a precious baby. I'm not speaking for everyone. However, I've seen the most mature christians question their faith after a difficult loss.
Having lost unborn children, it's an easy trap to fall into. Our emotions become stronger than truth and we question.
Since I'm the newbie in town, this loss hasn't effected me the way it has others. I'm sad, but I'm more resigned to pray for my community and those who are hurting.
I'm obviously praying for comfort and peace.
There's so much more. God doesn't create a path for us that includes pin and suffering. We have it because we live in a fallen world. Every loss, every pain, God can redeem, restore and use for his glory. It's one of the many ways He shows us how deeply and personally he loves us.
So, I'm praying for God to redeem, restore and use this loss for His glory. I'm praying the faith of this family can be strengthened and an example for the lost who surround them and are also grieving with them.
I'm praying many blessings over this community as they move on from this loss.
I'm praying those near to the family will continue to provide support and comfort to the family in the coming days, weeks and months ahead.
My heart breaks in very intimate ways for this family and community. All I can do is trust God and pray. That's all any of us can do.

No comments:
Post a Comment