Monday, January 19, 2015

People

This is fair warning that what follows is a full on rant. It contains my hurt and personality bent, but it's a complete and utter venting of how I'm feeling about people right now. So, if you don't want to see the darkness that spews out of my heart, I'll invite you to exit now. 

It's one of those times when I've let things brew for a long time and my hurt feelings finally burst like hot lava out of a balloon. 

I live my life with the understanding that if you treat people with common courtesy and do your best to not cause them problems, then I've treated them adequately and hope for the same. 

The problem is that I don't get the same in return. In fact, I rarely do. It's rare, not unheard of, but rare to find someone who treats people with basic common courtesy. 

If you send a text, leave a voicemail, send an email, common courtesy would indicate a response. That response maybe a short explanation that there isn't time to respond. Now to be fair, I'm not talking about people who might take hours to a few days to respond. I'm talking about people who just don't. 

A few years ago, I would send a card or email nightly to someone encouraging them. I did that consistently for a year. Every night with few exceptions, I sent something. In that entire year, I only received two responses. The response wasn't why I did it, but the lack of response was why I stopped. If people weren't appreciative of encouragement, then I needed to focus my efforts and energy where it made a difference. 

Do you get what I'm saying? Common courtesy. Basic manners. 

I get equally frustrated when people change what I've done without explanation. If I've done something wrong, then tell me. The only thing I learn when someone doesn't approach me about something I've done wrong is that said person is not a good teacher or mentor. 

Aside from common courtesy, let me cover holiness. Yep, that's right. Christians who somehow think that they are sinless or their sin is less than the next person. I may not struggle with what the next person does, but I have plenty of my own. For the love of God, christians, stop trying to make yourself look better. All your doing is making the person sitting next to you feel like they aren't as good as you and that there is a sin!

And for Petes sake, stop trying to make other minimize their struggles because you don't think its a struggle they should have. I recently told someone I had a lot a going on in my life. The response was off putting. Yea we all have busy lives. Good grief. Let's have a little empathy for one another. Not everyone handles things the same way. 

While I'm there, let me cover another irritant. Stop comparing my life to yours. I've never met anyone with the exact same story as me. I don't want to. My life has sucked at times. Your life is unique to you, just as mine is to me. I worked a lot in therapy to not minimize my trauma. So, when you compare an absent mother or alcoholic father to my story, what you are doing is trying to reduce my life to what you lived through so you can understand it. Don't do it! Not to me or anyone else. 

Please don't think this is a rant about the people here in Ohio. I'm referring to the entire population of earth. In many ways, people are the same here as they are in Kansas and California and Minnesota and Florida. 

I'm sick of self centeredness. The I driven world where nobody matters but self. Even me. I can get like that even though it's not my usual and most commonly comes out with my husband. 

I hate that society has the mentality that it's not my job or someone else will pay the bill or I don't have to give as good as I get. 

It's not biblical and its not good! 

Another reason I can't wait for heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment